Wernicke's Aphasia

What Is Wernicke’s Aphasia?

We kicked off our video series with a brief explanation of primary progressive aphasia. Today, we’re answering the question: What is Wernicke’s aphasia:

So What is Wernicke’s Aphasia?

As the video states, people with Wernicke’s aphasia can speak easily, but the words don’t always make sense. Their understanding of speech is impaired so their answers may not match the question. People with Wernicke’s aphasia may not know that they’re adding non-existent words into their sentences and may grow confused when other people don’t understand them.

The video provides background information about Wernicke’s aphasia as well as communication tips.

Thank you for helping us share these videos and get them out to the general public. We are so appreciative when you share them on social media platforms, direct email, or clinic newsletters. As we said at the end of our Aphasia Awareness Month video, we could all use more understanding in this world.

Comments

• Carol Ragsdale
    September 27, 2018 at 8:18 am

This was very important and easy to understand. Thank you.

• Ann Berry
    September 27, 2018 at 5:56 pm

My brain is dying, slowly! It doesn’t matter how slowly it goes, it goes! Thats what matters.
    I am fully competent but I’ll loose my mind and memory and speech! I’ve already lost
    my speech.
    I am asking you to discuss the aphasia that applies to me.
    Ann Berry

• Cheryl Cates
    September 28, 2018 at 11:11 am

Alcohol abuse can damage areas of the brain, called Wet Brain, that mimics Wernicke’s Aphasia. After 40 years of progressive alcoholic drinking, I had memory loss and trouble with Executive functions. I continue to have difficulty sequencing information in jobs using computer directions in sequence. Three is the maximum number of directions I can hold at a time.

I was tested by a neurologist and there was nothing found wrong with my brain, no Alzheimers or dementia. She referred me to the Speech Therapy Department at our local hospital. Lots of testing continuing all summer, three times a week, their diagnosis was short-term memory loss and aphasia. The diagnosis and all the exercises really helped me.

• Debbie
    February 12, 2019 at 6:23 pm

My sister had glioblastoma it is in remission. It’s going on 19 months. 8 months ago she had a stroke her whole right side is complicated. She can’t put two words together how can we help her?

• Debbie
    February 12, 2019 at 6:27 pm

My sister has glioblastoma. Going on 19 months now. Had surgery,radiation and chemo. Still doing chemo. She had a stroke and now we can’t understand her. How can we learn how to communicate with her?

September 6, 2019 at 3:36 am

Im so very thankful that you post this video because it is very helpful.