traumatic brain injury

Traumatic Brain Injury and Aphasia

Brain injuries turn the familiar unfamiliar. This is the starting point for a video that tries to explain what it is like to live with a traumatic brain injury.

The Invisible Rain Cloud

De Caro & Kaplen, LLP are brain injury lawyers in New York who created this video to explain TBI. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “In 2013, about 2.8 million TBI-related emergency department (ED) visits, hospitalizations, and deaths occurred in the United States.”

The lawyers explain in a blog post why they made the video:

If you’re a traumatic brain injury survivor, are you frustrated by being told how lucky you are? How your injury could have been much worse? How you look great? For those suffering from a TBI it’s difficult to explain how they feel.

Additionally, you can read the slides on their site.

Invisible Injury

TBI is sometimes referred to as the “invisible injury” because people may look outwardly fine while still navigating difficulties such as aphasia. When brain tissue used for speech and language is damaged, aphasia can occur.

Depending on the severity of the trauma, aphasia due to TBI could be transient or more permanent. Often, aphasia caused by TBI will be accompanied by other cognitive problems since TBI usually affects multiple areas of the brain.

Our resource page on brain trauma provides other links to learn more about TBI. Or, as the video so eloquently puts, we can see your rain cloud, and sometimes it helps to know that you’re not alone.

Comments

• Alexis Watterson
    January 31, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Alexis! I have Stroke, Aphasia and Aphaxia. September 7, 2011
    Hope ~ Faith

Head, brain, arm, leg,

Husband Dave helps me at home

Alexis Watterson

• Kay Robertson
    January 31, 2019 at 2:38 pm

My daughter has TBI from being hit by a car when she was six years old. She has right sided weakness and can’t use her right hand well. Through over coming so much I am still at a loss on how to teach her to read. She knows all words she knew before but it stopped there. Short term memory loss so by the end of the day she can’t spell back a word. I have tried all kinds of ways/ programs. I don’t know what else will help her. Funny, numbers stay with her just not spelling.

• Pat Patterson
    February 2, 2019 at 1:00 pm

What a very interesting video this was. It explains exactly how people with a brain injury feel. Let’s hope that people with this type of injury can lead a good and happy life. There are a few other illnesses that have invisible symptoms, I suffer from MS and it is hard to explain to people some of my symptoms. Here’s hoping that people will be more tolerant of others who have invisible symptoms of illness 💞

February 2, 2019 at 1:22 pm

I fell on my face 3 weeks ago having difficulty remembering what to do. Driving to hard. Went to Dr. Said I need to see a psychiatrist and neurologist

February 2, 2019 at 7:04 pm

Hello everyone, l had a tbl back in august with a shunt implant on my right side of my head. I was in hospital for 2.5 months. I m still in aftercare in twice a week. I stiil have the headaches from time to time. I two from time to time get fustrated, but l try n look positive rather than negative.

• Lisa Bradley
    February 3, 2019 at 6:28 pm

My daughter had fractured skull and eperderma hematoma at 10. Then at 15 concuss from skiiing Any research they can develop anxiety panic attacks ocd or trichallomania?

• Michael A Naberschni
    February 12, 2019 at 1:59 pm

First of all good job on this presentation. I suffered a stroke in April of 2018. My life has changed dramatically over night. Difficult to accept the “New Me”. I do not want to accept things as they are. Yet I feel as I am being forced into a new life I do not want. Confusion surrounds me like a vacuum. My thoughts are like in a zero gravity bubble, floating in my head. I see the words, I think I understand conversations, yet I reach into that bubble and find it awkward and cumbersome to grab the right answer. I accept that I deed help, as embarrassing, humiliating and shameful as it may be. I reach out from my uncomfortable bed, covered in soft blankets, and cry. Oh how I cry.