Still Sophie, a Movie About Aphasia

When Sophie Salveson was 19-years-old, her life was filled with friends, family, musical theater, and travel. At 24, her life still orbits around loved ones and the stage, though with one notable difference: aphasia. A stroke at 19 changed the trajectory of Sophie’s life. The short movie Still Sophie highlights how this communication disorder affects her day-to-day world.

The National Aphasia Association is proud to be a sponsor of this amazing short film that has already won Best Documentary at the Red Dirt Film Festival. We hope that you will also fall in love with Sophie; with her honesty, her gorgeous singing voice, and her quick smile that contains her determination and grace. Her story stuck with me for days after watching the film, and we’re excited to get to show you the trailer.

Still Sophie

Still Sophie is starting to screen at film festivals, including this week’s Vail Film Festival. If you’re in Denver right now, they’re screening it in the Student Film Showcase block on Friday March 31st at 2pm, and again on Sunday April 2 at 3pm. Both screenings are at Cascade Theaters in Vail, CO.

If you’re not in Denver, follow the film’s Facebook page for more information about future screenings as well as the film’s website, which has several more screenings listed on the left sidebar.

still sophie, the movie

Sophie’s humour, intelligence, and frankness about aphasia will draw you in. The film proves that underneath the struggle to form words still exists the same person with the same desire to do what they love.

Are you excite to see Still Sophie? Let us know in the comment box below.

Comments

• Amanda Greenwell
    March 30, 2017 at 10:07 am

My daughter and I can not wait to see this. My Daughter, Emme suffered a massive stroke at 13, she has apashia and right side paralysis. Because of the communication barrier she lost all her friends and life has not been the same. I love for her to see that she is not alone.

• Arlyne Russo
    March 30, 2017 at 2:07 pm

I am a speech-language pathologist who works with persons who have suffeted stroke related communication problems. I would love to see the film, “Still Sophie”.

• Frikkie Potgieter
    March 30, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Hello everybody, I am Frikkie Potgieter from South Africa with aphasia. I’ve obviously different problems but I would like to see the movie. Please write me and let me know where and how I can see, or get hold of “Still Sophie”.

• Mandy Bain
    March 30, 2017 at 3:26 pm

I’d love to see the movie! It’s hard to explain what a mind works with Aphasia. I often ask my family “do you think that i am normal (speak/thoughts) before and after?”

• Cheryl Dotterweich
    March 30, 2017 at 4:58 pm

I so want to see this when it is in my area also would love for my daughter in MO to be able to see it, she had brain surgery March of 2015 and has aphasia and right side weakness.

• Leslie Clark-Demlein
    March 30, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Thirteen years ago, at age 57, I had a severe hemorrhagic stroke…..I had seizures
    for four years…and all of a sudden, they stopped. My left-hand became “my hand-of-choice,” since I was hemplegic.
    My biggest problem was SPEECH; since I was APHASIC! I had taught elementary school for 32 years but I was just doing phonics: C vs S !!!!

• Denise
    March 30, 2017 at 6:43 pm

My husband had a stroke 3 months ago. We are only now learning about aphasia. I’m always trying to learn more to help him in his recovery. Can’t wait to see this!

• Barbara
    March 30, 2017 at 8:29 pm

I can’t wait to see this film. My son suffered a massive stroke at the age of 33 in October 2015. We knew nothing about strokes or aphasia until that fateful day. Have seen videos off Sophie online…..what a remarkable young woman. VERY ANXIOUS to see this film.

• Julie
    April 2, 2017 at 9:13 pm

I am a speech-language pathologist and I am passionate about helping those with aphasia regain their lost communication. I cannot wait to see Still Sophie.

• Gail Richardson
    April 3, 2017 at 9:12 am

A strike on 28th December 2016 – I from an aphasia. There is a still now 🙁

• Louisa
    April 4, 2017 at 1:46 am

I had a stroke during surgery on my brain aneurysm 3 years ago. I have aphasia. It has taken me 3 years to be able to talk almost normally sometimes, even though it vanishes when I am tired. I would love to see this movie – I hope I am like Sophie.

• Jacqueline Smith
    April 18, 2017 at 8:40 am

I would like for our son and I to see this movie. He had a massive stroke Nov. 2015. He is able to speak well sometimes and others there is the loss of thought and stammering. I only hope and pray that he can learn to speak well all the time. He is unmarried and 53 years old, and living with his Father and I. We are not in great health, and we become so tired having to do everything for him. He doesn’t have any friends now, I wish all stroke victims would not have to face losing their friends. I recently signed to receive you e mails, and they are so appreciated. I read about the cruise, and am very interested in him becoming a part of it. His right side is completely paralyzed, and he can walk with a cane and brace on his leg. He hopes to drive again, and I hope that can be possible. His temper is very evident over the smallest thing, and can become belligerent quickly. Thank you so much for allowing me to vent, Lord knows I need to sometimes.

• D Higgins
    April 18, 2017 at 9:31 am

Husband had massive stroke a few months ago. Aphasia is devasting for this formally talkative man. I’m looking forward to this movie as perhaps a roadmap of how to live with and overcome this devastating brain warp.

• Lori Jefferson
    April 18, 2017 at 11:05 am

My 85 yr old mom was diagnosed with alzheimers and then 5 mos later had a stroke. She now has aphasia on top of alalzheimers. Her life and ours has been turned upside down! She now lives in a memory care facility. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Blanche Feero
    April 18, 2017 at 12:39 pm

I had a ruptured brain aneurysm 10 years ago and suffered aphasia as a result, but I luckily have my normal speaking ability pretty much back now. When I am in a large group or in a new situation, I sometimes show my aphasia, though. I am so looking forward to seeing Still Sophie. Hopefully I can also get a copy of it to show the members of my Aphasia Support Group in Waterbury, CT.

• Ryss
    April 18, 2017 at 1:17 pm

thank you!!!! I have aphaisia and I still an actress too!!! #weonsamewavelength #signinghelpmemoretotalk

#stayforwardmyfellowstrokesurvivoractress #whoohoo

• Ellen Maxfield
    April 18, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Is there a way to see this trailer with captions? My husband can’t understand speech.

• Danir
    April 18, 2017 at 5:11 pm

I was in a soccer accident in Ingham in 2015. I was in hospital for 5 months full time, i have been in Rehab since then, and my life as a former Principal and head teacher for 20 years has made it different. I have Aphasia. I am told that it is moderate to extreme. To me, my life is normal, but my lack of physical and verbal ability makes it different to others. I saw the Sophie trailer. To me it meant alot. I’m going to see it. Her reality is real, orhers do not see Aphasia reality, but she does and we do.

• Randy Newell
    April 20, 2017 at 6:35 pm

I have aphasia from a brain tumor removed and a stroke moments after! It is good to know that i am not alone! I will look for the movie!

• Yvonne Wilcox
    April 27, 2017 at 4:19 am

Hi my daughter ( also called Sophie ) had a stroke 7 months ago aged 33 going from a successful recruitment manager to not being able to read or write overnight she also has aphasia and has lost a lot of confidence I would love to be able to see this film to show my Sophie there is hope unfortunately we are in England so I hope at some point this may be available to view on the web