Sharon Stone

Profiles of Aphasia: Sharon Stone

You probably remember her from Basic Instinct, captivating her questioners while answering questions in that little white dress. But Sharon Stone is equally known for the work she has done to raise awareness for strokes after a brain aneurysm in 2001.

We’ve been profiling well-known people with aphasia, including Ralph Waldo Emerson and Gabby Giffords. We’ve now turned our attention to actress, Sharon Stone.

Bleeding in Her Brain Changed Everything

Sharon Stone went from feeling unwell to waking up in a hospital with bleeding in her brain. “It took months for her to regain feeling in her left leg and years for her vision to return to normal.” She also experienced speech issues, including aphasia and then an on-going stutter.

At the same time, Stone points out the positives of the experience:

On the plus side, “I became more emotionally intelligent. I chose to work very hard to open up other parts of my mind. Now I’m stronger. And I can be abrasively direct. That scares people, but I think that’s not my problem.” She laughs. “It’s like, I have brain damage; you’ll just have to deal with it.”

Her Stroke Awareness Work

It took her years of recovery, but she has since returned to acting. She has also become involved in stroke awareness work. She went on Oprah to speak about her experience:

And presented at the 2013 Life After Stroke Awards:

She continues to act and speak openly about how stroke has changed her life.

Image: Siebbi via Flickr via Creative Commons license

Comments

• Robert
    October 20, 2017 at 7:07 am

Truly remarkable Sharon,your attitude and acceptance of it all makes the above a perfect platform for the greater awareness of Aphasia.please continue to Inspire survivors to see your wonderfull attitude and continue to raise awareness.Sadly in Melbourne,Victoria -Australia I see some slow progress in communities however the lack of awareness,funding and ignorance towards survivors astonishes me in the Year 2017
    My wife,my life and best freind has Aphasia,her courage and spirit will play a major part in her amazing recovery.
    As her devoted husband,I will never leave her side,keep on encouraging her and most importantly treat her the same as pre -stroke.
    This new journey has also presented us both with many memorable moments together and with other survivors.
    I am very confident that one day Jane will leave a legacy of greater awareness and inspiration for her Aphasia group and the community.
    Jane has been hosting her own Aphasia group,her ten members meet up at our home fortnightly and get together lunch at a local hotel .
    She manages to send reminders via phone….
    You can’t really describe what it’s really like for both partners….untill you experience it.
    Hang in there!!!!

November 15, 2017 at 11:30 am

As a stroke expert (an aphasiologist) who had a stroke, I can attest to the hard work it takes to recover. You can see my TEDx talk and read the journal article of the record I kept (with my non-dominant hand) through the acute stage by Googling, “An Aphasiologist Has a Stroke,” or by clicking on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLhXxBC9xYk
    TEDx talk
    Robert Goldfarb,PhD, ASHA Fellow
    Professor of Communication Sciences and Disorders
    Adelphi University, New York
    Goldfarb2@adelphi.edu

• Marlyn Wilcox
    November 17, 2017 at 10:52 pm

I had a major stoke 3 months and 14 days ago. I never listen much to other people who had brain injuries. I go to speech class’s twice a week and try to deal with made other problems. mind not knowing people names. I know I screw up writing. Thank you all

• Tab Taylor
    November 21, 2017 at 3:18 pm

Thank you for that Sharon. Very sweet and very familiar to me now. I suffered a cardiac arrest in May of this year. In my classes I have attended, I have heard stories like yours. Some not as well spoken (they are working on it) but my classmates have been an inspiration to me as well. I understand that not always people are as fortunate as I am, and will continue to make the best of it that I can. Thank you for the beautiful words ma’am. God Bless you and the people who are fortunate enough to see this.
    Tab T.

• Joyce wilt sprague
    January 20, 2018 at 9:06 am

My pharmacist husband had a stroke on 8-31-17 we’re presently in the Albany Medical he had his active cabbage and mitral valve replacement 3 months after his stroke and now he’s comeback words to stroke Aphasia again but what keeps him going to VZ wonderful personality and sense of humor and the people in our church that’s around us the people at the hospital who are wonderful and a great happy atmosphere and articles like this I definitely will promote Aphasia awareness and we will all get through this easier if people understand that love you guys keep smiling be happy

April 25, 2018 at 6:10 pm

I had a stroke December 2017
    I was treated in time with TPA meds.
    No damage shows up on any test.
    I’m having hard time speaking.
    I’m tired and scared of another one.
    I try to stay positive and do as much as I can.
    It’s very hard and depressing to go through it.
    I have faith that I will get better.

• Ms.Philippines
    June 2, 2018 at 4:13 pm

I had a stroke last 3yrs ago. Almost 2 1/2 months i’ll stayed in the hospital,can’t walk, no feelings in my right side head to toe, easy to geting tired untill now. But i almost thinking positive and i learn to talk God, after i had read Ms. Stone story i feel i have a chance my feelings come back.
    Thank you Father Jesus for the second life you gave to us.🙏🏽

October 21, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Thank you, Sharon Stone!

• Kathy Hewitt
    January 1, 2019 at 7:11 pm

Thank you Sharon. I had a right routine stroke on December 3 2016. I still cannot walk or use my left hand. My left ear is blocked and my voice is terrible. What can I do as the depression can be awful.

• Lesli Riggins
    June 7, 2019 at 12:15 pm

I have aphasia which stemmed from a stroke. And now survivor of 3 years. I am in Vanderbilt’s aphasia group in Nashville, Tennessee for 3 years. Getting better, with their help. You’re welcome to come to group their AWESOME!!

July 10, 2019 at 8:56 am

7.5 yrs after carotid dissection & resultant catastrophic stroke in perfectly healthy male, great shape, careful eater, former hiker/biker/14,000-foot mountain climber/runner. Left hemiparesis, apraxia, aphasia. Right handed & right brained (anomaly). When started, could not even sit up. Today: 7.5 years of PT 4 times a week, 2.5 hours a day. Can walk with 4-pronged cane (slowly), still funny, understands everything, 2.5 years of speech therapy, can do 1-to-3-word sentences. Speaking/spelling/numbers/even telling time a challenge at best! He would tell you: Be grateful for every little baby step & *do not quit*!:) 👍

July 12, 2019 at 2:54 pm

It’s wonderful how much Ms. Stone recovered, and given her resources to pay for therapies to help her, it is no surprise! No doubt she was treated by the best doctors and had a Personal Trainer to work with her daily, I’m guessing…if only the rest of survivors could afford such a blessing. I’m also guessing it’s easier to rise from the ashes like a Phoenix after a stroke when Insurance doesn’t cut you off from needed PT/OT/other therapy after 30 visits a year.

Movie Star vs. ordinary person = Apples vs. Oranges, or heck apples vs. puppies for that matter.

Congratulations to Ms. Stone for her recovery.