aphasia communication quiz

How Much Do You Know About Aphasia Communication?

2 million people in the United States have aphasia, but 84.5% of Americans state that they’ve never heard the term “aphasia.” This fact needs to change immediately to pave the way for better communication experiences for people living with aphasia. Get ready because it’s time for Aphasia Awareness Month.

#TalkAboutAphasia

We need everyone to talk about aphasia for the next 30 days because the more people know, the easier it will be for people with aphasia to move through the day-to-day world. Simple interactions that people may take for granted, such as getting service in a store or ordering in a restaurant, can become sources of stress when you have problems with communication.

Test Your Knowledge

Test your own knowledge of best communication tips, and then post your score on Facebook or Twitter along with a link to our 12-question quiz (we promise that it’s quick!) so others can test their knowledge, too: http://bit.ly/2E46ybX

Spread Our Quiz

We’d love for 2 million people to take our quiz, so let’s see how far we can have it go together. We’ve made it simple to spread the quiz to your friends and family. All you need to do is click on the image below to go directly to our Facebook or Twitter post. Once you’re there, hit “share” or “retweet” and you’re done!

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

Or, if you have more time, you can cut-and-paste the following onto your favorite social media platform:

#TalkAboutAphasia by talking with people who have aphasia. Test your communication knowledge with this quiz and help @NatAphasiaAssoc spread #aphasiaawareness: http://bit.ly/2E46ybX

Either option gets the word out there, so encourage your friends and family to keep spreading the quiz. We need to get the words outside the aphasia community to that 84.5%.

Special for Aphasia Awareness Month

This month, we’re increasing our newsletter publishing schedule to every week for the month of June. We’ll be covering local aphasia events and programming. Plus we’re rolling out four posts specifically about aphasia and the fine arts.

Welcome to Aphasia Awareness Month. Please help us spread the quiz, and let’s increase the number of people who know about aphasia so we can generate more understanding in this world.

Comments

• Hendrica
    May 31, 2019 at 8:17 am

I have a slight problem with the answer to the communication aids question. I ticked all boxes in addition to all would be helpful, except of none of these would be helpful. (I just thought it to much trouble to un-check the first boxes) Technically my answer is correct, but the quiz considered this false.

• Carter
    May 31, 2019 at 9:39 am

Don’t talk quiet is good

May 31, 2019 at 2:04 pm

I was expecting the quiz to have more information for people to understand the difficulties people, ( and their families), have with communication. Also, some people with aphasia may not want to always have to advertise their aphasia every time they go to a store, or try to have a conversation with others. Are their alternatives to the id badge that are less “people wearing a label”, and more inclusive, rather than setting that person apart from others?

• nora canally
    May 31, 2019 at 2:42 pm

my husband who has been diagnosed w progressive pervasive aphasia participated in the answers could we get a card saying I have aphasia thankyou
    c

• judith pindell howto
    June 1, 2019 at 11:21 am

I have mild aphasia and I took the quiz based on me. Interesting quiz.

June 1, 2019 at 5:37 pm

You people with aphasia are gold. xx

• Brenda Gingrich
    June 1, 2019 at 10:57 pm

Great way to get the word out about Aphasia.

• Demetrius Miller
    June 2, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Demetrius Miller stroke (Aphasia) 7year. Awesome way to get the word out about Aphasia.Lingraphica laptop

• Joyce Green
    June 3, 2019 at 6:51 pm

I have Aphasia(Stroke related); some of the things that help me are:
    Getting a hug when frustrated
    Practicing my speech therapy Contact Therapy as often as possible
    Having a combination of speaking aloud, using numbers, clock and voicemail messages
    I talk, struggle everyday, am determined to get well, thank you for the opportunity to take the detailed Test, Joyce

• Dr. Susan Strickland
    June 5, 2019 at 11:43 am

Well I have SvPPA – fluent speaking, but I can not name or recognise objects, and sadly it is procreative re my anterior left temporal lobe

• Joanne
    June 5, 2019 at 2:46 pm

Hello,

My 96 year old Dad has primary progressive aphasia NOT due to a stroke. His neurologist has told us that speech therapy would not help. I would appreciate your opinion on this. My opinion is that it may help but I am not sure. He is at the point where he can only speak one syllable words and only a few such as yes, no, okay. He doesn’t seem to want to write down any words when I ask him to. He lives alone and gets along quite well. My two brothers and I help him as much as we can. He is a WWII veteran and is very independent and has a good disposition, however, I can see his frustration when he can’t say/find the words.

Any opinion or help would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely, J.M. Anderson

• Kate
    June 5, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Doesn’t it depend on what type of aphasia they have whether you should use short and simple sentences? A person with only difficulties wording when they are speaking (under Broca’s) probably won’t have any difficulty when other people are speaking, and if they are having a discussion in a masters level program and someone tries to use short and simple sentences when talking to them, they will actually get rather offended. Whereas someone with the W one might have difficulty understanding if it’s not in short and simple sentences, but might have no problem saying their thoughts.

• John M. Brumit
    June 10, 2019 at 6:06 am

Thank you. I took your test and didn’t get a couple. For instance, I don’t mind if I can’t find a word and someone will chime in. I feel that it gets the situation over with. I was head injured in 1981 and have Anomic Dysphasia. I work for the U.S. government and feel I should give to the problem I have. We have a group at my work for people that have disabilities. Since this is Aphasia month, could you provide literature that can be given to the people I work with ? I don’t have enough money to give money but time I can give.
    Thank you for you help.

• Vince Witte
    June 13, 2019 at 1:05 pm

I have been dealing with Aphasia for 8 months. Before that, I had never heard of Aphasia and no idea what caused it. After months of working with speech therapy, I am surprise my score was only 76 on this Aphasia quiz.

Since there is no cure for Aphasia, I think it is important to share what caused me to have Aphasia / brain injury. I was healthy and not at risk of stroke. For some reason unknown to me, an off-duty, intoxicated police officer decided it was necessary to give me a choke-out. A choke-out is a hand-to-hand combat tactic involving the use of a chokehold to cause syncope, or temporary loss of consciousness. As a former U.S. Marine, the man was trained how to use a choke-out. I assume a police department trains officers not to do a choke-hold on innocent bystanders that have done nothing wrong. In 90 seconds, he caused me to have a huge negative impact for the rest of my life.

A choke-out has way too much risk for causing brain injury and Aphasia. A choke-out while wrestling / sports can cause serious problems. If staff at a senior home use a choke-out to control a senior, do they understand the risk for causing brain injury and Aphasia?

I hope that one day the police officer that caused me so much pain, will give presentations at high schools to explain why young men should not be giving choke-holds. I would like to go along and share what I have loss and educate people about Aphasia.

Aphasia & brain injury does have a huge impact. I can’t enjoy the St. Louis Blues winning the Stanley Cup. I don’t remember music or why I enjoyed camping, canoeing, fishing and the outdoors. I have been told I will not recover and I will never be able to return to my profession. In 30 years of IT, I communicated 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. I very much enjoyed my career and planned to work 10 plus years. I still don’t understand why this happened to me…

My momma always said, “Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”