Aphasia Cafe: Traveling with Aphasia
We’re dreaming about vacations, so tell us your best travel tips for when you have aphasia.
That’s the topic we’re tackling in the next installment of our Aphasia Cafe series. These informal video chats bring the conversation and camaraderie of a face-to-face group into the comfort of your own living room.
All the Details
Everyone is welcome in our video chats, though they are structured specifically for people with aphasia in mind. Our chats are a mixture of people with aphasia, caregivers, and professionals who work with people who have aphasia. We ask that everyone uses aphasia-friendly communication.
The next meeting is on October 23rd at noon EST (that’s Eastern Standard Time).
The question we’re discussing: What are your best travel tips for when you have aphasia?
Before the meeting, download Zoom, which is free video chat software for your computer or mobile device. If you’ve never used Zoom, check out our quick guide to installing and using Zoom.
Collect Your Thoughts
Our chats are HUGE (as in lots and lots of people), so let us walk you through the format so you know what to expect.
- The form below contains a place where you can give a few thoughts you’d like to discuss connected to our meeting topic
- We choose some answers and create slides so there will be text on the screen that you can read to aid communication
- During the chat, we’ll ask you to elaborate on your answer while your slide is on the screen
- Other people can chime in after you speak if they have thoughts they want to add
- But don’t worry if you just want to listen and not speak. You can do that, too
- If you DO want to chime in, there are two ways to do that during the chat––use the chat box OR use Zoom’s “raise hand” function. We’ll talk about how to do that in our reminder email and at the beginning of the chat
- Remember, relax, take your time, and enjoy yourself. You’re in an aphasia-friendly space
Finally… RSVP (Yes, You Need to RSVP Each Time)
Sign up for each chat by filling out the form below. We’ll send you a reminder for the call beforehand along with a link to the meeting. You will not be able to join us without signing up. Sign up is open until Monday, October 21st at 8 am EST (again, Eastern Standard Time).
Still have questions? Send us an email about this chat to [email protected]. We’re happy to help.
Comments are not allowed