March 12 Chat

Aphasia Cafe: Primary Progressive Aphasia Chat

Primary progressive aphasia (PPA) differs from other forms of aphasia, which is why we are holding a special PPA-only chat in March. This discussion will work a little differently from our usual Aphasia Cafe chats, which will resume in April.

This chat will cover understanding the diagnosis of primary progressive aphasia. We have an expert—Becky Khayum, M.S., CCC-SLP, from Cognitive Concierge—opening with a 15 to 20-minute presentation followed by 40 to 45 minutes of questions, answers, and covering whatever is on your mind. It’s open to anyone living with PPA and care partners—whether you’re newly diagnosed or have been living with PPA for many months.

All the Details

Everyone is welcome to our video chats, though they are structured specifically for people with aphasia in mind. This particular chat is solely for people with PPA and caregivers. Professionals with an interest in PPA are welcome to join, too. We ask that everyone uses aphasia-friendly communication.

Time

The next meeting is on March 12 at 11 AM ET (that’s Eastern Time). Please note that this is different from our usual chat time and day.

Topic

The topic we’re discussing: Understanding the Diagnosis of Primary Progressive Aphasia

Download Zoom

Before the meeting, download Zoom, which is free video chat software for your computer or mobile device. If you’ve never used Zoom, check out our quick guide to installing and using Zoom.

Collect Your Thoughts

Let us walk you through the format so you know what to expect.

• The form below contains a place where you can give a few thoughts you’d like to discuss either during the chat or a topic for a future PPA chat
  • Becky Khayum, M.S., CCC-SLP will present for 15 – 20 minutes on the topic
  • She will then open the floor for 40 – 45 minutes for questions, answers, and chatting
  • But don’t worry if you just want to listen and not speak. You can do that, too
  • If you DO want to chime in, there are two ways to do that during the chat––use the chat box OR use Zoom’s “raise hand” function. We’ll talk about how to do that in our reminder email and at the beginning of the chat
  • Remember, relax, take your time, and enjoy yourself. You’re in an aphasia-friendly space

Finally… RSVP (Yes, You Need to RSVP Each Time)

Sign up for each chat by filling out the form below. We’ll send you a reminder for the call beforehand along with a link to the meeting. You will not be able to join us without signing up. Sign up is open until Wednesday, March 10 at 8 am ET (again, Eastern Time).

Still have questions? Send us an email about this chat to answers@aphasia.org. We’re happy to help.

Comments

• Eva Polgar
    February 24, 2021 at 10:07 am

I would like to know the specific ways to DIFFERENTIATE primary progressive aphasia from so called normal aging and its impact on verbal/language performance. How to do a differential diagnosis.
    This question is for the expert.

• MB Veerabhadrappa
    February 24, 2021 at 12:34 pm

Interested in learning on how to cope up with PPA patients on a daily basis as a caregiver and spouse.

• EK
    February 24, 2021 at 2:08 pm

Hello,
    I am a daughter, caregiver and POA of a very smart 80 year old man with Expressive Aphasia.

To make a very long story short… I started caring for my father in 2016. That year he legally checked himself out of a memory care facility that his wife and an estate planner put him in. A doctor had diagnosed him with dementia after a serious fall and months of being in a rehabilitation center on mind altering drugs.
    He was put brought a memory clinic and was told he did not have dementia. He has the same communication order he had for the last 10 or 15 years.
    These last for years have been nothing but fighting to get him back all of the rights he was stripped of after that diagnoses. He filed for divorce in 2017. His own lawyers, wife and the courts have drained him of time and money and the divorce is still in the court system. This past week he had a remote hearing. I put and ADA request in to assist him with his speech and all forms were denied. He was able to get out some very clear points in the hearing but the judge spoke right over him and then our call disconnected. All we heard was that the divorce was going to trial.
    Do you have any recommendations for a legal advocate (lawyer) familiar with Aphasia or disabilities in the Los Angeles area. I have been looking for years.The lawyers my father had did not even want to present his disability to the court. I provided the, with at least 5 different doctors letters. Thank you for your time.

• Joyce Bulford
    February 24, 2021 at 8:26 pm

My husband was diagnosed 2 years ago. I noticed something started getting off with him about 2 years earlier. He had a massive heart attack in 12/19. I’ve noticed many changes in him. Music reached him emotionally but not much else. He’s easily angered and is very self centered. He’s still self sufficient, but didn’t know what to do with a dinner roll. He is also developing odd behaviors. Is this normal? Is there still no way to slow the progress? He knows he has a problem, but doesn’t care about speech therapy, or practicing vocabulary. Are these normal? Or is he developing Alzheimer’s? Thank you.

• Rick Rasmussen
    February 25, 2021 at 8:34 pm

When words no longer make sense what sounds does the person have to make their self heard ?

• MB Veerabhadrappa
    February 28, 2021 at 4:48 pm

My wife and I are married for 52 years. Since the past 4 years, she has been diagnosed of having PPA by John Hopkins Baltimore. She has been an ideal mother, wife and a friend for the entire family and friends. She has progressively gotten verse over time and it is heartbreaking for the entire family of 2 daughters and 4 grand children. Although we have 3 doctors in the family, no one was able to help her. As a primary caregiver, I am very much interested to learn on how to best care and help my spouse in the long run.

March 4, 2021 at 9:20 am

Anne with PPA and Bill her husband interested in learning more about PPA.

• Anna Kennedy
    March 12, 2021 at 7:47 am

Please let me join the chat this morning! I thought I had registered already and apparently I have not. I was diagnosed with PPA almot 3 years ago, and I am despaerate to find a support group.
    Thank you!

We'd love to hear your thoughts below! If you have a question for the NAA, we can give you an answer if you write us directly at answers@aphasia.org. Please note: inappropriate comments will be moderated.